Sad news coming out of Las Vegas today… At least 50 victims died, and hundreds of others were wounded after gunman at a Las Vegas hotel rained a rapid-fire barrage on a huge outdoor music festival on Sunday night, making this the deadliest shooting in modern US history.
Police have identified the suspect as Stephen Paddock, a 64-year-old local man. They believe he shot himself on the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay hotel and casino. At least 10 guns were found in his hotel room.
The shooting is not believed to be connected to international terrorism, NBC News has learned. Paddock was a licensed pilot, who owned two planes. He also had a hunting license from Alaska.
Sheriff Lombardo said the police were seeking “a companion” named Marilou Danley, and the authorities later said they were “confident but not 100% sure” they had located her.
Harrowing video of mass shooting during @Jason_Aldean set of #Route91Harvest Festival in #LasVegas. #MandalayBay pic.twitter.com/gaXgDBbZKV
— Evan Schreiber (@SchreiberEvan) October 2, 2017
Concertgoers described hearing round after round of gunfire. “Everyone was running, you could see people getting shot,” Gail Davis, one of the witnesses, said. “I’ve never been that scared in my life,” she added. “To have this happen, I can’t wrap my mind around it.”
“It just kept coming,” one of the witnesses, Robyn Webb, told The Las Vegas Review-Journal. “It was relentless.”
Police are urging patience: “I think it’s very important that you understand this investigation is going to be long and contracted before we get to the bottom of everything associated with it,” Sheriff Lombardo said.
Police said 406 people had been transported to hospitals.
Our thoughts and prayers are with all those affected…