The Dutch legend known under his numerous aliases, including System F, Moonman, Pulp Victim and Gouryella gave an exclusive interview regarding his performance at the first weekend of the festival. We have also discussed about his new album called “Blueprint”.
Check out the interview below !
- Hi Ferry, thank you for taking the time to speak to us. Last weekend you performed to amazing shows during the first weekend of Tomorrowland 2017, one as Ferry Corsten and one under your Gouryella alias. How did your sets go and how were the crowds different in each show ?
Tomorrowland was great! They had a stunning production that really complemented the music. First, the trance energy stage where I performed as Ferry Corsten was probably one of the most amazing productions ever. You could really see that the crowd was eager to have trance back at the festival. My set as Ferry Corsten was great. I was able to play a lot of the tracks from my album “Blueprint.” The response was phenomenal, both at the festival and online. My second set as Gouryella brought out every die-hard trance fan over there. Since the documentary has been released, people felt more in tune with the concept when I played.
- How was your experience of the festival ?
The festival was great. Unfortunately, I didn’t get to stay as long as I wanted as I had some promotional things to do around my album outside of the festival but from what I saw it was fantastic. It was great to see some old friends and fans again!
- In your view what is it that makes Tomorrowland festival so unique ?
I guess the concept makes it stand out. It’s a whimsical European take on day festivals!
- You’ve just released your new artist album called “Blueprint“. Can you please tell us a little more about this concept album and did you treat the fans during your Tomorrowland sets to some material from the album ?
Blueprint is a hybrid between a music album and an audio book. In other words, a fully narrative story that carries the listener throughout the entire album creating a full listening experience. The difference between this album and my previous work…My previous work was just “music albums” where there was no central theme. The music in my previous albums were made to flow together but not as cohesive as blueprint due to the story.
- What is one of your personal favorite tracks on the album blueprint ?
It’s really hard to pick one from all your favourite darlings. But if I had to pick one, it would be ‘Venera’. It ties Blueprint and Gouryella together.
- You’re a pioneer of trance music. What is your feeling of techno/underground artists playing trance tracks in their sets currently. Joris Voorn recently played a remix of your in his Ushuaia set, how does that make you feel.
I think it’s great. Ultimately, techno is where trance came from so uniting the 2 makes sense.
- What does the remainder of summer hold for you ?
We’ve got a few Ibiza shows, a couple more festivals in Europe and Asia and then I’ts back to the U.S and the rest of the world for the last quarter of the year.
- Thank you for taking the time to speak to us and for making Tomorrowland such a special experience for us and many other trance fans ?
Thank you so much as well !
Check out Ferry’s performance at this year’s Tomorrowland below !