Lightning in a Bottle 2017 Attendee Died from an LSD Overdose

lightning in a bottle
Photo by Andrew Jorgensen

The San Luis Obispo County Coroner confirmed that a 20-year-old Baylee Ybarra Gatlin of Ventura who suffered a medical emergency while attending the Lightning in a Bottle music festival at Lake San Antonio died from overdosing on LSD.

The manner of death is listed as accidental. The cause of death is listed as Acute Lysergic Acid Diethylamide (LSD) Toxicity. The Monterey County Sheriff’s Office was said to be investigating the circumstances surrounding Gatlin’s overdose.

The day after Gatlin‘s death, Lighting in a Bottle‘s management released a statement that read, in part:

“Our deepest condolences go out to the family and friends of the woman who passed away at Twin Cities Hospital after attending Lightning in a Bottle.”

Lightning in a Bottle festival has a harm reduction section on their official website that includes the following statement:

“LIB is a drug-free event. That’s the law of the land. But we know that despite this, people will choose to use drugs, just as they do in larger society. Harm Reduction is a set of practical strategies where the goal is reducing the negative consequences of drug use. We want to keep people alive, happy and out of the Medical tent, so we work with several partner organizations to make sure our attendees stay safe and informed.”

About 25,000 festival-goers attended the three-day event in the Central Coast region of California.

SOURCEksby
Alex Gelevski
Alex Gelevski is our official photographer. He has been listening to electronic dance music since middle school. Apart from being photographer for Rave Jungle he likes to play basketball in his spare time.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.