It was an eventful Monday for the festival that started it all. To start the day, the investors behind the iconic Woodstock Music Festival decided to denounce funding of the 50th-anniversary event, while simultaneously announcing to the public through various media outlets that it was going to be canceled.
As the day progressed a media frenzy ensued about the cancellation, only to be countered later by a public statement from the organizers of the event telling everybody that the event was still going to happen.
Amidst the uncertainty, only one thing is clear, the organizers behind the event are not going down without a fight and that Woodstock 50 is probably still going to happen despite the back out from the Dentsu Aegis Network.
In a statement released Monday evening, organizers of the event said that they intend to bring new partners onto the event
“We are committed to ensuring that the 50th Anniversary of Woodstock is marked with a festival deserving of its iconic name and place in American history and culture” they said.
“Although our financial partner is withdrawing, we will, of course, be continuing with the planning of the festival and intend to bring on new partners. We would like to acknowledge the State of New York and Schuyler County for all of their hard work and support. The bottom line is, there is going to be a Woodstock 50th Anniversary Festival, as there must be, and it’s going to be a blast” they added.
The roller coaster ride has been playing with the emotions of the masses all day. The hype has been building for several months about the event, and the devastating news released earlier today made it seem as if was all for nothing.
Sometime around December of last year leaks dripped from legitimate sources about the potential of a 50th anniversary coming back to the world famous stomping grounds of the original Woodstock, and it has been in the global headlines ever since.
A recent lineup release unveiled an eclectic lineup of some of the top music makers in the world. It seems as if the festival leader Michael Lang and company were trying to stick with the roots of the event and bring forth diversity in the performing artists in an attempt to bring people together regardless of background and musical preference. Key event headliners Santana, Miley Cyrus, the Killers, and Jay-Z are all scheduled to perform the August event and will bring forth a great mix of human beings.
For all the Woodstock enthusiasts out there that were heartbroken today over the news of the cancellation, do not fret, it was just media jumping the gun like always. According to the people behind the scenes, three days of peace, love, and music will grace the epic grounds once again, so dry your eyes.